Breaded Zucchini Flowers (or Eggplant, Zucchini, Cauliflower, Broccoli)
Note: A legume (chick pea flour) + a cereal (kamut, spelt, or gluten-free flour) = a complete vegan protein.
Serves: 4-5 portions
In the picture, it was served with black rice and raw vegetables:
2/3 cup chickpea flour (or ground chickpeas);
1/3 cup kamut, spelt, or gluten-free flour;
½ cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk (or another vegetable milk);
½ cup first cold pressed olive oil;
1 teaspoon iodine-free salt;
½ teaspoon black pepper powder;
1 teaspoon organic garlic powder;
1 teaspoon sweet red bell powder (paprika);
½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1. Wash and rinse the zucchini flowers.
For the zucchini recipe: wash, peel (if not organic) and slice (about 0.25 inch or 0.5 cm thick slices);
For the eggplant recipe: peel and slice (about 0.5 inch or 1 cm thick slices);
For the cauliflower and broccoli recipe: separate into florets, wash, and then steam for 5-7 min.
2. Mix the salt and spices in a small container.
3. Place the flowers or vegetables on a plate and sprinkle with half of spice blend on all sides.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the flours with the rest of the spice blend.
Add the vegetable milk slowly, until in turns into a soft cream. Add more vegetable milk if needed.
5. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat up 3-4 tablespoons of oil.
6. Place the flowers (or vegetables, one by one) in the chickpea mixture, make sure they are creamed on all sides, and then transfer them in the hot oil.
7. Cook at medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the chickpea cream turns into a golden crust.
8. When ready, take them out in a glass or metal bowl, on a paper towel.
9. Add oil when needed and continue cooking the rest.
Serve hot or cold with a raw vegetable salad.
Keep refrigerated for 4-5 days.
Enjoy! Pofta buna!
Here are a few raw vegetable salad recipes for inspiration:Raw beet salad recipe:
Raw tomato salad recipe:
Raw cucumber salad recipe:
Here is a similar recipe:
Oven-Baked Breaded Cauliflower (and Broccoli) – Vegan / Vegetarian Recipe